Tuesday, September 1, 2009

A Room Of My Own

I am in desperate need of a sewing room.

Growing up my mom always had a sewing room. In The Old House it was what was once a screened-in porch off the living room. At some point actual walls and windows had been added, the cement floor had been covered with tile that posed as wood flooring, and later a hole was knocked in the back wall to connect it to a newly built utility-room. It was a small room from what I remember. It had a nice sunny glow to it. My mother's sewing machine sat in its cabinet under the front windows. My play kitchen and, a bit later, my roll top desk lives across from it. As I recall the sewing-room was my favorite place in the house. I still miss it.

In The New House the sewing room was actually known as the "school-room". I suppose because we kept most of our books there. Sometimes we actually did school in there (because the couch in there was the most comfy), but not always. You were just as likely to find us at the dining room table, in the living room, or (and heaven forbid!) on our own beds. Sadly a lot less sewing went on in this particular incarnation of the sewing room.

By the way, Mom's sewing room has since moved into my old room. Even less sewing happens there than ever before.

One of the major excitements for me with almost purchasing a house recently was related to the potential for me to finally have a sewing room of my own. I had previously been inspired by the following photo:
I adore this room. It belongs to SouleMama and was recently featured in Mothering magazine. I fell in love with the color on the walls and have since decided that my future sewing room will be painted a lovely shade of Robin's Egg Blue.

Of course, the house purchase did not work out as of yet. We will be in our apartment for an unknown amount of time so I have decided that it is vitally important for me to eek out my own usable crafting niche somewhere in this small space I call home. My sanity may depend on it.

I know that sounds somewhat ridiculous, but that doesn't change how I feel. Since getting married I have given up having any space to decorate as I see fit and call my own. That bothers me to some extent. I'm a creative person...I need a place to get that out. Also, for more practical reasons, I need a place where all my crafting paraphernalia is all together and easy to access. It's hard enough to find time and opportunity to sew! Having to search all over the apartment for an embroidery hoop or pinking shears does not help.

So, is a sewing room possible? No. A sewing area? Maybe.

I'm taking over a wall in our living room. I'm going to have a table for my computer, a desk where my serger and sewing machine live, and then 2 white cabinets that contain fabric, quilting tools, and various other craft stuff. I'd also like to purchase a cork or peg board that I can paint Robin's Egg Blue to put up over my desk (so I can have a bit of that color I dream of) and maybe a few storage cube units to top everything off. I'd also like to hang some of my posters, post cards, and other odd little things on the wall to give my area some character. I'm so sick of plain off-white walls I could spit.

So, the next step in making it all come together: Move said white cabinets and buy some paint. Is it a bad sign that I hear an evil cackle in my head? Most likely, yes.

0 comments:

Post a Comment